The e-governance initiative of Ministry of Corporate Affairs(MCA) brought in the concept of Director Identification Number (DIN). Every Director or proposed Director is required to register himself with the MCA and obtain an unique identification number (Section 266A to 266 inserted by Companies (Amendment) Act, 2006).
Step by step process to be followed by the applicant is as under:
Step I. Obtain provisional DIN
The applicant is required to fill-up and submit form DIN-1 online for obtaining provisional DIN. Form DIN-1 is available under ‘Apply for DIN’ tab on the left hand side panel under DIN’ link on the homepage of MCA portal.
Step II. Pay Din application fee
The applicant is required to login to the MCA portal and click on ‘Pay Miscellaneous fee’ link available under the ‘Services’ tab. Select ‘DIN application fee’ option and enter the provisional DIN. Applicant can make the payment of fee by using any of three modes of payment available on MCA portal. Form DIN-1 will be processed only after the DIN application fee is paid.
Step III. Dispatch DIN application to MCA DIN Cel
The applicant is required to take a print-out of Form DIN-1 (containing provisional DIN generated online). Fill the service Request Number (SRN) of the fee paid. Sign the DIN application form manually and paste a good resolution photograph in the space earmarked. Attach the photocopies of the ‘Proof of Identity’ (Attach additional proof, if ‘Father’s name and ‘Date of Birth’ is not indicated in the ‘Proof of Identity’) and the ‘Proof of Residence’ with DIN application form and tick the relevant checkbox against the document name. Get the photograph and the attached supporting documents attested from an approved authority as specified in form DIN-1. The certifying authority must mention its particulars such as Name, COP No. etc, and affix its seal/ stamp.
Complete set of documents is required to be sent to MCA DIN Cell at Noida, by post, courier or hand delivery, as per convenience, within 60 days from the date of generation of provisional DIN online.
Processing of DIN application
DIN application is received by MCA DIN Cell. DIN application form and attached supporting documents are scrutinized and if found in order, the provisional DIN is approved and activated in the system. If there is any defect in the DIN application, the provisional DIN is rejected. It takes about a week’s time to complete this process. DIN approval/ rejection letter is generated and sent by post to the applicant. The status of application can also be tracked from the ‘DIN Approval status’ tab in the DIN corner.
What is DIN2 or DIN3?
Applicable only for directors appointed upto 30 th June, 2007 and where the Form 32 had been filed before the date. DIN2-Intimation of DIN by the Directors to the Company; DIN3-Intimation of DIN by Company to ROC.
Post-approval changes in particulars of DIN-1
If there is any change in the particulars submitted in form DIN-1, File form DIN-4 for intimating the changes in the particulars within 30 days. For instance in the event of change of address of a director, he/ she is required to intimate this change by submitting Form DIN-4 along with the required attested documents with MCA DIN Cell.
Process for applicants who are (i) Indian citizens residing abroad; (ii) foreign nationals residing in India; and (iii) foreign nationals residing outside India
While general conditions would be applicable in these categories also, the certification of attached documents and the photograph may be done by a notary in the home country of the applicant or the Managing Director/ CEO of the Company on which he is a Director or the Company Secretary in full time employment of the Company. Further, in the case of a Foreign National, certified copy of the valid passport should be enclosed.
Before you fill-in application for DIN, please remember following common causes of REJECTIONS
- Applicant’s name and father’s name mentioned in abbreviated form. – The Name should be expanded even if the ID proof contains the name in abbreviated form.
- Mismatch in the Name and Father’s Name in DIN form with the ID (Identity) proof enclosed. – Any mismatch in Name, including spelling mistake, may lead to rejection of application. Minor spelling deviations in the father’s name may be accepted, if such deviations do not materially impact the name.
- Prefixes like Mr. / Ms. / Kumari / Shri etc. used in the applicant’s name.
- Residence proofs like: Bank Statements, Electricity Bill, Telephone Bill, Utility bills etc. submitted are older than 2 months of submitting the application for verification OR such documents are in the name of some other person, for example father or spouse.
- The supporting documents are not duly attested i.e. Name, Designation, Membership/ Practicing certificate number etc. are not clearly indicated. – If the seal/ stamp does not contain membership/ practicing certificate number, same may be recorded by hand.
- Passport / Driving License / Identity proofs etc attached are expired. – Only such documents which are currently valid should be attached.
Source: “www.mca.gov.in” The checklist is an extract from MCA website.